SmartParts will consist of a central CORBA Server
written in Java running on the Unix Operating System.
The SmartParts server will interact with
- an existing Pricing Database,
- a Legacy Parts Reordering application, and
- a real-time Parts Inventory data feed.
There will be two clients
- a Java applet and
- a C++ application
that will run primarily on Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 Server Operating Systems.
Some of the real-world aspects of SmartParts include:
- Application Component running on different operating systems
- Multilanguage clients
- Legacy applications that must be built into the new system, often called a wrapper
- Allowing CORBA usage when using Java applets
The next module will be spent learning some of the terminology and basic components of CORBA before we begin the course project.