| Lesson 8 || Why implement CORBA? |
| Objective || Advantages of employing CORBA |
Advantages of using CORBA
What are the advantages of employing CORBA?
When deciding on whether to employ a CORBA solution, developers should consider the following tangible advantages of CORBA.
The existing computing infrastructure is already quite diverse in most organizations. Therefore, this infrastructure is difficult to manage and use as a target for new software solutions.
When you also consider that organizations are beginning to transact business over the Internet, interoperability becomes a primary requirement.
In addition to this structurally diverse and interconnected environment, today's business applications are very complex. One of the best tools to deal with this complexity is object-oriented development.
What does CORBA offer?
CORBA's key benefits are:
- Hardware interoperability
- Distributed computing
- Development language interoperability
- Object-oriented development
- Application interoperability and reuse
- A pre-defined basic architecture
- Access to CORBAservices and CORBAfacilities
What does OMG offer?
The OMG's key benefits are:
- Wide software developer support
- An open standard that strives for interoperability at all levels
- An open, democratic process for defining standards
- No focus on operating system support and no platform agendas
One of the big questions for developers is the level of industry support.
A growing number of vendors
have committed to supporting CORBA in their future products.
The concept of classes automatically containing the variables and methods defined in their supertypes.